Monday, June 1, 2009

For Mom

I had to plans to write about farmers' markets today, but I decided to do something else.

Today I cleaned my apartment. Vacuumed, mopped, scrubbed, dusted - cleaned. I worked for hours cleaning the place. And I don't expect a thank you from any of my roommates when they all get back later tonight. It isn't that I wouldn't like a thank, no, I would quite like one, but I won't get it.

Then I thought about it. My mom has done the same thing day-in, day-out, for years. As a stay at home mom, she cleaned the house, bought the food, did the laundry, did everything to make our house a home. And all without a continual thank you. She was essentially an unpaid servant. Which is horrible to say, and I know she wouldn't think of it like that at all, but basically, that is what it comes down to. My mom did everything for us and never expected anything in return, never got anything in return. I took her for granted.

Mother's Day was a few weeks ago, but I can honestly say that today I feel much more appreciation and respect and admiration for my mom. I will do so every day. My mom is amazing.


I hope one day I can be as fantastic a mother as she has been to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment